How to make Chemex coffeePublished Date:
We use 1:15 coffee to water ratio for Chemex coffee. Read as in 1g of ground coffee for every 15 grams (ml) of water. Our recipe makes about 500ml of brewed coffee which is about 17 ounces.
What you will need to make Chemex coffee
- Specialty coffee from a local coffee roaster
- Chemex coffee brewer
- Chemex bonded paper filter
- Kettle (gooseneck preferred)
- Digital scale (optional)
- Grinder (optional)
- Hot water
How to brew Chemex coffee
- Place the folded filter with triple-layer covering spout, rinse/preheat the brewing system with water. Discard after 1 minute.
- Pre-infuse with 60g of water for 45 seconds.
- Pour 240g with high agitation keeping coffee submerged pouring over 30 seconds time.
- Allow slurry to fully draw down until the coffee bed is exposed (3 min)
- Pour 200g over 30 seconds with gentle agitation. Pour into the centre of the brew for the last 10 seconds.
- Allow the coffee to fully drawdown for a total brew time of 4-6 mins.
- Serve and enjoy!
What are the best coffees for Chemex?
Notes of red fruits cherry-like, hints of hazelnut and a long, chocolate aftertaste.
Well balanced, full-bodied with hints of sweet herbs and a long molasses finish.
Full-bodied, has a balanced sweetness, citrus, notes of honey, caramel and brown sugar.